NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting is intended for all individuals regardless of previous shooting experience or NRA-affiliation and is available for delivery in two ways. One option is the traditional, instructor-led course where you will receive direct instruction from an NRA-certified instructor from beginning to end.
The goal of this course is to teach the basic knowledge, skills and attitude necessary for owning and using a pistol safely, culminating with the Basics of Pistol Shooting Certification.
During this course, students will receive intensive lessons in firearm safety and safe gun handling practices, learn about the various firearm action types and their functioning, be introduced to the fundamentals of pistol marksmanship (proper grip, stance, aiming, breath control, hold control, trigger control and follow-through), various pistol firing positions, practical exercises on the firing range, feedback during live-fire exercise, Range Rules, instructions on the proper cleaning and storage of your firearm, a summary of pistol sports and activities, and information on future intermediate and advanced handgun courses.
There are two major components to the course.
A classroom component and a live-fire hand-gun range component. In order to successfully complete the course, students must attend the classroom portion and successfully qualify with a pistol during the live-fire portion of the course.
What You’ll Learn:
- Essential gun safety rules
- Different types of pistols and which one is best for you
- The basics of ammunition
- The fundamentals of pistol shooting
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING:
- Drivers License or a valid government issued photo ID
- Hearing and Eye protection
- Sturdy Belt (must be able to hold up the weight of a pistol and magazine holder)
- Closed-toed shoes
- Photo ID
- Water, food, snacks (for duration of course)
- ALL OF OUR LIVE FIRE COURSES TAKE PLACE AT 4845 FL-44, New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168 (inside the Volusia County Gun Club)
- Firearms Training utilizes semi-automatic pistols. Full-frame pistols are recommended. Sub-compact pistols are not recommended.
- Keep firearms in vehicles. Participants may not remove firearms from their vehicles or otherwise handle firearms until instructed to do so.